Are you interested in becoming a podcast guest, but feeling overwhelmed? Podcasts are an amazing opportunity to reach an engaged audience and grow your audience, but you may feel like you’re not sure where to begin. Don’t worry, mastering the podcast guesting game is easier than you think! Here are some simple tips to get you started on your podcast journey.
Reach Out To Your Network
The easiest way to be a guest on a podcast is to draw on relationships and connections you already have. There is a great chance that someone in your network has an existing or upcoming podcast that you can be interviewed on. Reach out direct to the hosts or through your connections and offer to share your story!
Research Podcasts for Good Fit
When searching for potential podcasts to be a guest on, it’s important to find a good fit for your brand, your audience and the overall podcast. Look for episodes and topics that are similar to your specialty area and view the podcast’s social media pages, website, advertising and media content. If it resonates with you, it is likely to resonate with a potential audience.
Before you accept your dream podcast request, be sure you are ready to make the most of the opportunity! Prepare yourself by doing some pre-podcast research and practice your answers. Make sure that you have stories or experiences ready to share which are relevant to the podcast topic.
Tips to Be a Great Podcast Guest
Now that you’ve gotten the invitation and are ready to be a podcast guest, here are some tips to make sure your appearance is a success:
- Arrive on Time – Most podcast shows record with tight schedules, so it’s important to arrive on time in order to make the most of your opportunity.
- Be Professional – Remember that while this may not be a traditional interview, it is still important to conduct yourself professionally throughout the session.
- Be Engaging – Firstly engage with the host and conversation. Secondly Provide thoughtful and meaningful responses.
- Listen before Speaking – Spend time listening to the host and other interviewees when appropriate, before sharing your own insights.
- Promote Yourself – Prepare in advance some questions and topics that can help you to promote you and your business, without being too ‘salesy’.
- Follow Up – After the session, be sure to follow up with the host. Offer to help promote the episode, thank them for having you and even suggest topics for future conversations.
By following these simple steps, you’ll be well on your way to mastering the podcast guesting game. Good luck!