Small talk can be a daunting task, however having a few well-crafted questions up your sleeve can make the experience much easier. Asking the right questions is key to sustaining an engaging conversation. Here is a list of often recommended small talk topics that will turn any conversation into a lively discussion.
Questions about family are always safe to ask as everyone has one. Consider questions such as:
- What do you like about your family?
- What is your favorite holiday spent with your family?
- If you could pick one food to always have in the house, what would it be?
Asking someone about their job or profession can be a great conversation starter. Consider questions such as:
- What is the most rewarding part of your job?
- What did you want to be when you were growing up?
- What do you do to stay inspired?
Dreams and Goals
Dreams and goals can be great conversation starters. Consider questions such as:
- What is something you’ve been dreaming about?
- What is your biggest goal in life?
- What would you do if you didn’t have to worry about money?
Hobbies and Interests
Hobbies and interests are often a great way to get to know someone better. Consider questions such as:
- What was the last book you read?
- What hobby can you not seem to get enough of?
- What subject do you love to talk about?
Asking the right questions enables you to have conversations that are meaningful and engaging. With practice, you will be able to master the art of small talk while having great conversations.